There are two application rounds for the President's Prize. The following materials must be submitted as part of the application process.
ROUND ONE - due July 27, 2018
- Online application form
- Respond to the following prompts in no more than 3 pages, 10-point font, with 1-inch margins:
- Problem statement – describe the issue you want to explore. Include why you are passionate about this topic and your motivation to address the issue.
- What do you want to accomplish through your project? Please include specifics about the resources and relationships (human and otherwise) you will need to be successful, and any obstacles you anticipate.
- How does your work align with and further the university’s mission?
- How would you describe your project on Twitter in 280 characters or less?
ROUND TWO - due September 28, 2018
Semi-finalists will be required to provide:
- A preliminary project budget of up to $50,000 with a clear statement of how the funds will be used. Budgets for winning proposals will be refined during the planning period after selection of the prize recipients.
- Signed preliminary interest/commitment form from a faculty mentor with whom the student is proposing to work with over the course of the project.
- One letter of professional recommendation from an individual, not related to the student, who is able to assess the student’s preparedness to undertake the proposed project.
- A copy of the student’s academic transcript.
Successful round two applicants will be asked to deliver a professional presentation about their project to the review committee of faculty and staff representatives. Presentations will be scheduled October 16-19, 2018.
Finalists will complete an interview with the President’s Prize Selection Committee, from which recipients will be selected. Recipients will be notified by the end of November 2018.